Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just say no to The Bachelor!!!

It was all the buzz today. Everyone around me was talking about the finale of The Bachelor. Once again...the guy proposes to a woman, but there is no marriage in the end. In fact, in the follow-up show he dumps the gal he proposed to in favor of the runner-up....and she agrees to have coffee with him and see what might happen! Am I the only woman out there that takes offense to "The Bachelor?" I know, it's just entertainment, but I just don't find one guy having his pick of "the litter" that entertaining. In fact, as a woman, I find it completely unappealing. I cannot understand why these seemingly beautiful, talented and sucessful women would subject themselves to this situation. Basically one guy walks into a huge group of ladies and starts sending them home, one by one. At first it has to be just based on looks or first impressions. Later, he gets to spend as much time as he would like with each of them, tells them all the same things, is affectionate with many of them, and then publicly dumps them. Does anyone else see the negative message this sends? Why is this so entertaining? I honestly don't get this one. I have tried to watch, if only because of my job, and just cannot stay with it. Come on...this isn't reality tv at all. This isn't the way to find someone. If you watch this show, what do you find most appealing about it? Is it a guilty pleasure? Help me understand. I would love to see a show about how to really meet someone that you could spend your life with. Is that concept too boring? Would anyone want to watch a show about finding a moral, Christian spouse, someone that would commit to you for life? I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Stacy. I watched last night's episode, and I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't watch a single episode this season, but I got sucked into it last night.
    And then today, while watching the Ellen Degeneres show, something she said really stuck with me.
    She said (in response to last night's Bachelor finale), "I don't know what's with you straight people. You can have your word marriage, if that's what you want."
    And she's totally right. We (as a society) SAY that marriage is a sacred covenant between a man and woman, but the way we treat marriage, as a society, is anything but sacred.
    Don't get me wrong, there are times when marriages fail, and I get it. But on the other side of things, we glorify idiotic situations such as what happened on the Bachelor last night, and quite frankly, it's disgusting. The worst part about it all is that precious little boy who is now stuck in this mess. First his bio parents divorce, and then his stinkin' dad engages another woman, dumps her, and is hooking up with some other girl.
    It's a shame. I truly do pray for that little boy.

    ReplyDelete